Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Self Portrait



That artists are physically or mentally ill (as explanation for their art) has been discussed for hundreds of decades. I admit that I have thought that myself about a few that I used to know.
I have heard many artists say that if they don't do art they are going to go crazy, and I
know that doing art was my salvation when my husband was in a nursing home. It was painful for him as he was delusional and hallucinatory....(and, for some reason, those are always bad, just like a nightmare is always bad). It was painful seeing him a helpless, frightened child in what remained...almost to the very end.... a handsome, broad shouldered man's body.

I would do art and time during which I felt I was "somewhere else" would fly. I was always
surprised that no grief showed in my work....only joy. Today, when I looked at my latest
piece through the lens of my camera, I questioned my state of mental health.....oh, not too
seriously, but I am doing quite a bit with body fragments. And, my eBay auction winnings of
Barbie dolls have not even arrived yet.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your work does not look crazy at all; it looks beautiful and mysterious. I'm not sure what 'sane' guts and emotions look like much less how to define them.
I was thinking about J. the other night. I didn't know why. And thinking about you, post J. Does anyone in your new enviorment want to hear about him?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Thank you for your nice comments, i.e "beautiful and mysterious" is good! But will it play in.......?, I always wonder, not that I am creating for others. Still, at some point, I need to sell it and this makes me wonder about the venues available.

No, no one has any interest in hearing about Jack. Perhaps, it is considered a "no-no" subject. I am not good at social conventions....but I hear "I wasn't about to ask hi/her that!"

Perhaps, I should start another blog called "My husband's brain"?

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main