Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Does your work make you queezy?

My studio is a mess! I used to be so good about putting everything to do with a finished project away. I probably have way too much stuff because a lot of the problem is I don't know where to put it so I might find it again. So many categories!

Searching for something I needed and had safely put it away, I was stumped as to what category I might have assigned it.....so, I conducted what I thought was a thorough search...looking in each plastic drawer no matter how it was marked. I took out more things which I'd forgotten I owned, adding them to my packed work table. Before I finished, I had totally forgotten what I was looking for! (I must confess, I haven't missed the whatever it was.)

What I did find was a journal about the 1960's woman which I had started about 3 yrs. ago. Since I had collected much material for in in those years, I took it out to put it on my "finish" list.
While thinking about just when I might have the time to finish it, I idly looked
through it, and felt queezy.

It was AWFUL! Other than following the belief that more is better, I had obviously forgotten
everything I once knew about design....Or, did I think that it didn't matter? The cleverness of
today's paper artist can never cover up a total lack of attention to good design.
My journal
is beyond easy salvage, but it has taught me a valuable lesson.

If you want to be an artist, you have to know and apply the principles of design and color.
If you want to be a good craftsperson, you have to know and apply these.

With this in mind, I hope to empower others who may be struggling. My online class starts
June 9th!
http://rd.joggles.com/?pf=8378


1 Comments:

Blogger Griselda said...

I empathyze with all you have written...but I need to also realize that creativity is born out of chaos, or so they say, I like to think that my dolls are silent witnesses of how crative I am, I find whatever the doll needs and helps me to simplify when I don't find something.
On the other hand...
Paper work drives me crazy...I scare myself silly when I don't find something I need.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main