Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Technique: Rusting Anything

There have been many questions about my previous post about my rusting items. Since I have
been thinking about how to generate more interest in my site, it occurred to me that I should
be giving you more.....like, maybe, more than just thoughts, but concrete techniques.

I'm not going to write actual tutorials....only provide a springboard for you to do your own exploring.

Although there are many ways to rust things, absolutely the quickest (and also the most expensive) way is to use a rust antiquing set by Sophisticated Finishes available at Michael's.
Sue Penrod and Dorothy Kansteiner introduced me to this method when I visited them in Mo.

The set has two bottles....just follow the directions....and have more patience than I did. I thought it wasn't getting the job done, so I kept piling on more and I wound up with my layer of
rust much too thick. I also recommend sealing the whole thing with their clear sealer.

What is so wonderful about this method is that absolutely anything can be rusted..... metal,
plastic, paper, fabric, wood....! I didn't do any preliminary work on the items, but I do think that light sanding of "slippery" surfaces" might make for better adherence. I will be sanding safety
pins and plastics for sure.

Happy rusting to all!


3 Comments:

Blogger Doe Grozs Art said...

after all the discussion on rust,(FFF), I ran to the art store to get these products on Sat. I don't think I have the patience for vinegar - 3 days! I'll let you know how it goes.
Doreen

6:59 AM  
Blogger Griselda said...

Cynjon introduced me to the very same products...I love to work with them, but be warned, if you varnish them, the texture of old changes to a shinny even texture, also, if you let it get wet it shines in places. (I rusted a small figurine that I have near the sink) I find this process almost addictive, you can rust just about anything and it keeps on changing.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Whereas real rust attacks metal, eventually destroying it, the rusting products...I believe...are just a coating, and will flake off unless protected.There are all kinds of sealers on the market which will not be shiny.

I have discovered in playing with rusting that very shiny items are best sanded...regardless of directions which come with the quick rusting agents.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main