Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Half Priced Art

What do the photos of Peru have to do with half priced art? As you can guess, the Peruvian's income is extremely low....but, mostly I just wanted to show you more pictures!
The title of my post comes from one of Robert Genn's newsletters. One
which really gave me pause for thought:
"In professional circles the only person you sell to at half price is your mom. All others pay at or near the established prices. That's what keeps you professional and dealers coming back for more. Sometimes painters find it hard to realize that all paintings can't be sold, nor need to be. This may be because they are substandard, but not always. Perhaps they number too many for the market to bear. Apart from destroying them, consider making the odd discreet gift. Life is a gift, why then not art? Charities make noble recipients. Giving the gift of art is a chance to show your love."

Do you agree? I don't. If I have art which has been around for a while...and especially if I made it as a class sample....I would much rather it went to a
good home that you provide than keep hanging out here. It is for this reason....as well as for recycling art supplies which I don't use....that I continue uploading items to my shop. Yes, it is a lot of work, but it's a
win-win situation. I get reimbursed for materials, allowing me to buy
more. I never cut the price of new work, though.....I like it too much!


3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah! Got to your site easily this time

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't been selling recently and I'd have to really think about selling my work, which is relatively inexpensive already, at half price.
I don't even know about any charities who would take my art...and remember, the write off for an artist is only for the materials used.
This whole topic is very depressing...or else I'm just depressed!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Yes, the thought that marking down one's art is "not professional" is depressing. For me, it depends on whether someone COULD pay full price, but is always out for a deal. How much for your soul?

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main