Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Monday, November 05, 2007

Milagros




















Today Milagros seem to have taken on a new importance in the art world, but what prompted me to write about this is the arrival of this book I have been wanting and which I found "used"
(there's no evidence of its used condition) from one of Amazon.com resellers.

The word " milagro" means "miracle" in Spanish, but I also associate it with "serendipity". I looked up the word a few years ago and found myself falling passionately in love with south of the border folk art and customs. Discovery of one word led me to travel off the beaten path in Oaxaca, Costa Rica, and Peru.....as well as into a new world of folk art and customs, particularly
customs of healing.

From this emerged the realization that I have been interested in healing my entire life.....and have always thought, mostly due to my personal experiences, that traditional Western medicine is very limited, as well as tied too closely to the large pharmaceutical interests. We have gotten further and further away from the root cause of illness, one's belief system and stress. Knowing what I do of the Law of Attraction, I have no problem understanding that the usage of milagros for representing specific ailments, and attaching them to figures which represent power....like saints, for example...could, indeed, bring healing if there's a belief that this will happen.

But, I got rather carried away here. It's a neat little book, and full of nice illustrations. I recommend the book, milagros as symbols in art and for healing, and, of course, I highly recommend serendipitous discoveries and all manner of miracles.


1 Comments:

Blogger Doe Grozs Art said...

I was just looking at this book the other day deciding whether to get it or not. I don't like that I can't flip through it as I can in a bookstore, so thanks for the recommendation.
One of my favorite stores was named Milagro in Woodstock, but they closed... very sad as now it's such a high end yuppie store.
Doreen

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main