Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Monday, January 21, 2008

Love Medicine





















When I first saw this glass fronted box, with the interior interior divisions, I immediately thought "Medicine
Cabinet!" Based on my prior experience, I figured it would be a difficult piece to do as the items would have to fit in scale, in meaning, and it would require so many!




















Once the idea of making a Love Medicine box, I proceeded to have the most fun I have ever had making an
assemblage. I limited myself to objects I found in the nooks and crannies of my studio, tearing some apart,
aging some, and appropriating items for different uses than they were meant for. Love Medicine! I just
turned myself into a sorceress and went to work. The box contains 6 hearts, each one different, 5 vials of
mysterious powders, and 5 fully powered stones and crystals. I so loved the process, that I wish I knew
where I could get another box with divisions. No carpentry skills here, and I prefer not going the cardboard
route. I must, must find, more boxes like this because I want to do a series of them!

Just think......travel medicine, beauty medicine, sleep medicine.....and then there are also so many really
oddball medicines....i.e. laugh medicine, cat medicine...o.k. I'll stop now.


2 Comments:

Blogger Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

You are brilliant!!! Perhaps you can find authentic or repo print boxes and hinge a "door" to it; ie, mirror, clear glass, wood, faux wood... If you visit a big flea market you might find the printers boxes, and if you find a vendor, perhaps you could see if he'd do a custom version for you.

I have found such printer's drawers or boxes at yard and tag sales! Here's http://www.flickr.com/photos/playswithfibers/2211536435/
a mini version I purchased from a vendor at a giant antique mall. He made them in different sizes. I bought two. One I filled with elephants and gifted, the other I made for myself. I felt extremely fortunate to have found original printer's blocks with St. Bernards.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

It is YOU who is brilliant, Nancilyn! Thank you for reminding me of printers drawers.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main