Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Monday, April 28, 2008

Barbie, the Destructive







My girls' father did not allow any Barbie's into our house. Fortunately, neither of my daughters liked any dolls. They much preferred to dress up the cats and take them for a stroll around the livingroom in their doll-carriage.

I, however, had a love-hate relationship with Barbie. I am embarrassed to say that it gave me joy to photograph them drowning. (That was after I stopped pleasing my husband.) My bizarre relationship with Barbies continued and...as friends know...I used them beheaded and spray-painted in shrines. I even have a few which have been shot with a .22. Strange, I know. Can you imagine how relieved I was when a friend brought me a magazine clipping showing a Barbie chandelier? It's much nicer than what I do with them, but naked Barbies are so much easier to clean.


Iran also hates Barbies. I don't report the news very often...mostly because I stay away from it....but, I loved this heading~!

Iran calls Barbie, US doll, 'destructive'

TEHRAN, Iran - A top Iranian judiciary official warned Monday against the "destructive" cultural and social consequences of importing Barbie dolls and other Western toys.

In the latest salvo in a more than decade-old government campaign against Barbie, Prosecutor General Ghorban Ali Dori Najafabadi said in an official letter to Vice President Parviz Davoudi that the doll and other Western toys are a "danger" that need to be stopped.



1 Comments:

Blogger mrg & grm said...

I ...
just....
laughed...
my...
a--...
off!!

This is great. I've seen some pretty great (or sick) Barbie art in my time so this doesn't surprise me. I love that you used to drown them!!! And shoot them. I am still laughing. Of course, it's also sort of sad that you had those feelings to get out - but at least you had an outlet.

And, for what it's worth, I think it's probably not that unusual to have a love/hate relationship w/Barbie. I have my own feelings/experiences re them -- I didn't have one as a little girl b/c they were too expensive (and possibly my mother didn't approve of them) but got some second hand when I was in 4th grade (or 5th or 6th?) and played w/them for a little while. And I agree that naked Barbies are, indeed, much easier to clean!

Have a wonderful, fantastic trip!!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main