Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Life at My House








Two years ago, barn swallows built a mud and sticks nest up underneath the roof of my covered front entry. My indoor cats and I were absolutely delighted to be able to observe the whole process until the two babies finally fledged. The best kitty T.V.
programming! I actually missed them when they left, but was happy about finally getting back to a poop-free front stoop. I had completely given up using the front door, as I didn't like getting dive-bombed, so the mess just got larger. Phew!

Still, I marveled at the intelligence of such a tiny creature who from the very beginning, knew to turn around and point its rear end away from the nest.

A year went by and the nest remained unoccupied, until this year. I took this shot through the glass of my front door. Pretty, isn't she? I feel honored to be hosting another swallow family, and will suffer through the excrement which has already begun falling. Am I crazy? Some people would certainly think so. To be honest, I don't really care. I welcome birds and squirrels here, but, hopefully, have said "good bye" to scorpions forever.


2 Comments:

Blogger mrg & grm said...

I had a nest of pigeons one year beneath my air conditioner. After they left I had it boarded up but I enjoyed watching them grow up even if they are NYC's pests. I understand!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Yes,but you boarded it up and destroyed a future pigeon house.:-(

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main