Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Thursday, May 22, 2008

I have Babies!




This is a stock photo. I am much too co-dependent to get out a ladder and scare my babies with a flash photo! But, this is what they look like! They hatched the day after I returned from Peru, and there are FOUR in the small mud and straw nest up high over my front entry.

Only their mother (and I) could think of them as cute. They are all mouth, usually held way open in wait to be fed, with just a bit of gray fuzz on top of their heads. They aren't making any sounds, yet, but I'm sure it will get loud around here. The mother is a beautiful, slim swallow....and though a male attempts to assist her, she fusses at him until he leaves. Proud single mother? Makes me wonder if I ever worked as devotedly as she does. If my 4 offspring had been swallows, perhaps they would not have made it to maturity. I have to admit, if I knew how to go about it, I would help with providing food. :-)


2 Comments:

Blogger Gena Lumbroso said...

How thoughtful of you Mai-Liis. I love this - the picture, the fact that you saw the nest and your story! Thanks!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Threads of Inspiration said...

Mai-Liis,
I too have babies outside our bedroom window. They have gotten a little bigger than your photo, in fact I saw them literally hanging out of the nest the other day. Also, thank you for looking at my blog. I know you post a lot on wild art dolls and I tend to be more of a lurker, but I just had to let others know about Keeper of the Honey House.
Susan

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main