Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Oaxaca Street Children Project





Four years ago, I visited Oaxaca for the first time. The draw for me was the fact that Oaxaca is known as the handicraft capital of Mexico. What I found there was pure magic!

The art was fabulous, the food was fabulous, the people were friendly, and live music played non-stop on the city square. I danced with strangers, both men and women who wore broad smiles which matched my own. I was so happy there!

Except for one thing. The beautiful, but hungry street children made my heart lurch. Yes, I gave them money, enough for one meal, perhaps. When I learned about the project Rebecca Brooks was doing, I jumped at the chance to participate in another very small way. I joined the numbers of artists who each contributed a hand-made shrine to be auctioned to benefit these children. Won't you help?
http://corazon.typepad.com/recuerda_mi_corazon/2009/03/ci.html


2 Comments:

Blogger Georgina said...

Oh Chaska, I wish I had known about this...would have loved to have participated. I know about poverty, that is, all I have to do is look over the river to Mexico and there it is. And right now, Juarez is a horrible place to live. The cartels have taken over and the violence is outrageous...it's total anarchy! I did some substitute teaching at one of the schools in the barrio here and it was so sad to see many of these children living without and the stories...it just would break your heart.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

You can still help! Place the link on your website, and perhaps, someone who comes to your site, will bid on a shrine. We need to all stop feeling bad, and start helping.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main