Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Friday, March 27, 2009

What is Steampunk?



Though Steampunk style has caught the imagination of designers and artists, it isn't easily defined. It includes the influences of Flash Gordon, Mad Max, and Japanese animation...mixed with romanticism of steam locomotives, brass diving bells and dirigibles as well as the gentility of the Victorian era.

The aim of Steampunk may be to restore a sense of wonder to our technologically oriented world. I love it's orderly whimsy!



















Labels:


4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Carvellas said...

OOOHHHH!!! LOVE this! I've never heard the term, but...ME LIKE the style!! I envision myself someday having a studio large enough to create large pieces like this! Oh yeah...blow torch time!! heehee! Thanks for finding and sharing such cool work!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger mary schweitzer said...

Did you do these? They're wonderful! I've been collecting bits and pieces for years. Just because I like them. Maybe when I get finished with all the things I've got in the works, I'll venture into Steampunk land and play awhile.
Mary

12:46 PM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Oh, I WISH they were mine! Unfortunately, I do not know the artist. I have just begun collecting supplies for Steampunk, but it's gotten to be a very expensive proposition as people on eBay and Etsy are rushing to cash in on the trend.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Steampunk is new to me. Just found out about it around a month ago. Ran into someone selling lots of Steampunk rings. They were gogeous & pricey. What a FABULOUS look!
Hope all is well with you, Chaska!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main