Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Inspiration, or, One Thing Leads to Another






Last year I attended a fabulous exhibit of South American paintings, 1600-1825, entitled The Virgin Saints and Angels. These images inspired me to create three icon dolls, though quite against my will, they were colorful and "modern". The relationship between my original inspiration and the work I produce always appears to be obscure. I would love to know how inspiration works for other artists.

I do know that the work of my students is always very different from that of my own, the class sample, but I always thought that was because I encourage their creativity.....to create from their own soul.


I taught an online class on Icon Dolls last October, and featured a line-up of gorgeous work by students, including one by Anne Davis. However, now, 6 months after the class, Anne has completed yet another.

Anne writes: "She's an Icon of Inspiration; she has pearls for wisdom, oak leaves and acorns (on her belt buckle) for strength, patience and "inner fire", and a crystal ball to help track down those elusive creative ideas. The eternity knot stands for an infinity of inspiration."

Nice work, Anne!

Labels:


5 Comments:

Blogger mary schweitzer said...

Your students doll is wonderful. Obviously you opened her eyes to the possibilty of what things can be. I always look at what something can be instead of just what it is.
Mary

5:26 PM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Anne is a very talented artist.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chaska is a wonderful teacher. :)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Kate Carvellas said...

Wow...very interesting and intriguing! Such a juxtaposition for what we normally consider an "ancient" thing...and "icon", with such a modern twist! Very cool! Oh...and with regards to creativity...for me, I often think that which is in my mind creatively is often not what is in my subconscious creatively. If I am able, I can allow my mind to be the springboard, but my subconscious do the "speaking". Does that make ANY sense at all??? LOL!! :-)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy, I think I know what you mean. Sometimes, I have an idea of what I want to create, but my subconscious goes another way entirely.

That's why this icon sat around for several months - I had ideas, but none of them felt "right". Then, when I actually started working on her again, it all came together quickly.

Or, as I've told Chaska before, sometimes the doll tells me what to do. They can be very demanding.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main