Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Art or Craft?

Our language is not exact. I doubt that any language is a concrete thing. Am I an artist or craftswoman? I am both. But, wouldn't it be helpful to come up with a new way of describing what I and others like me do?

"Artist" brings someone who paints 'pictures' to most people's minds, and "crafts" most frequently is thought to include a whole array of things which bring a shudder to those of us who create original work built on design principles....the same principles that govern good painters.

Any ideas? Does it matter how we define ourselves? It's all good, of course. The real challenge is to appreciate all efforts.

This video is what led me to write this post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWVzIfUfjGk

Labels: , ,


6 Comments:

Blogger Just Another She said...

Craft always reminds me of the things we did at the Parks & Rec after school programs. Art is so much more to than just painting. It irritates me when my husband calls what I do "crafts".

3:21 PM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Then that makes at least two of us! For me it depends on who it is that's doing the calling...and, of course, my mood.:-)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

You are an artist not a craftswoman.
Your dolls are pieces of sculpture.
A friend of mine who also makes dolls makes craft pieces. If you set the two dolls together the point would be obvious to even the most dense.

10:17 AM  
Blogger DJ said...

I was taught in university that craft has a utilarian purpose and so knitting a sweater or creating a quilt although it encompasses elements of design and colour become craft. Art transcends this and speaks of the soul, eliciting emotion and comtemplation. I think though that the lines between the two are not clear cut by any means.
DJ

9:39 AM  
Blogger DJ said...

I was taught in university that craft has a utilatarian purpose such as knitting a sweater or creating a quilt, although one could argue that these are quite artistic as well. Art transcends purpose and speaks to the soul. It requires comtemplation and evokes emotion. Although some scholars would like to separate the two, I believe the overlap is quite a bit stronger than many wouold admit.
DJ

9:43 AM  
Blogger Angenita said...

I'm also wondering if I'm crafting or making art.
Art and artist sounds so profesional, like I make a living out of it and that's so not true.
I'm dutch and a friend of mine calls it kunstel (kunst means art and craft is knutsel) so that's a nice mixed up word for what I'm doing :)

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main