Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Inspiration from Morocco




I have fallen in love with the shapes and colors of Morocco.  There is a similarity to what I saw in Mexico, but I see these shapes and decorations as more refined....less primitive....and the variety of colors which are popular is greater.  What I don't know is how much of this is related to tourism.  Indigenous art changes according to what sells.  Everyone has to make a living!



These are mens' shoes!   Simple, but colorful The shoes in the second photo are simply simply embellished.(Oh, yes, I'm not showing you the embroidered ones which are way over the top!). 


The woven shawls are very similar to what I saw in Oaxaca, except there they use saturated primary colors.  Unfortunately, acrylics are everywhere!

Labels:


3 Comments:

Blogger Georgina said...

Love those colours. My cousing lived in Morocco several year ago and has a lovely collection of dishes and other finery.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Gena Lumbroso said...

So great to travel. Morocco is in a Mediterranean country, as a result, they are influenced and affected by the sun, which inspires them with color. I think tourists are attracted to this aspect, not the other way around ;)

Lovely photos!

9:07 AM  
Blogger jmichelle Betaudier said...

HOwdie! Great Pics,.. theres a really good reason that what you saw in Morocco reminded you of Mexico. Its because the roots are the same. The sailors on the ships were of north african decent,(Morocco). The seemingly spanish style style, the blue edged glass, the churches, the christian religon...If you look cearfully at the people.. you will see a resemblance to thier morracan couins. I think its cool! Even the root names of some of the very towns.. In fact the more you investigate the history you will find some stunning discoveries. I just love history! also I love the looks of your blog! Go You!.. woo hoo....

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main