Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Black Pottery

This time of the year my thoughts always turn to Oaxaca, both because it was approximately at this time of the year that I was so happy there, and because I love the Day of the Dead celebrations. Oaxaca is THE art capital of Mexico which is what originally led me there.

A distinctive ceramic process has brought much fame to the small village of San Bartolo Coyotepec of Oaxaca. For centuries, San Bartolo Potters have used a pottery firing process similar to Japanese Raku. Artisans of the village fire clays to create a jet-black, ash-covered surface, which when burnished with a smooth stone, produces a lustrous sheen, similar to a clear glaze over a black surface.

Although I am smitten by color, I think these examples of black pottery are wonderful.















































1 Comments:

Blogger Anne D said...

The detail is wonderful (and of course, anything with mermaids gets my attention).

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main