Art Alchemy Studio



Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Monday, April 04, 2011

Makonde




"Makonde" is the name given to the traditional carving in Tanzania. Ebony is used, but there are also imitations, artificially darkened.

Though I can appreciate the amount of work which goes into each piece, I did not become a fan.

The wonderful thing about a group tour is the number of things one sees which one would miss if on a solo trip. The bad thing about group travel is that one does not have a choice in what one sees. Had I seen any work NOT produced for the tourist market, my opinion about Tanzania handicrafts might be very different.

I think my fellow travelers were very pleased with what they saw. I did buy one small bowl because the giraffes carved into it looked completely different from any of the many other giraffe decorated bowls. Yes, I like "different".:-)


For more information about Makonde:
http://www.blackwoodconservation.org/carving.html



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Main