Art Alchemy Studio



Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Magical Respirator




I can be a very slow learner, especially when I'm enthusiastic about something.

Last year when I got sick, I acknowledged there was a problem I needed to address immediately. It took my Auto Body Shop (doing an unrelated fender repair) pointing out a faint red powder all over my charcoal gray car.


Spray painting within a large cardboard box in the garage is not safe. Paint particles travel. How many were in my lungs...my bloodstream? Was this why I was feeling so sick?

I researched the problem., and because I found only complex and very expensive solutions, I vowed to give up spray painting my boxes. (Each little box gets at least 4 coats of paint with sanding in between....and I like the smooth finish!)

The paint must have gotten to my brain, as well, because by this year, I only remembered I couldn't paint in the garage, that it would ruin my car.

I spray painted only outside and got sick again. I like getting up close and personal to my work, and was oblivious to breathing in the fumes. Ever since I worked as a Commercial Artist I have loved the smell of paint. (It's not so easy to couple nausea, headaches, body aches, and dizziness with an activity you thoroughly enjoy.)

A FaceBook friend steered me to a safe, inexpensive solution. I'm elated! Now to find some safety goggles large enough to go over my glasses .....

Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger Gloria said...

Glad to hear you have a face mask respirator that will keep the fumes from entering your system. Now you can continue to make all your beautiful boxes.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Chaska said...

Thank you, Gloria. I have been celebrating by buying more spray paint!:-)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main