Art Alchemy Studio


Mixed Media Art by Chaska Peacock

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Folk Art Inspires Me

















































Now that I live in Austin, I can get a little taste of Oaxaca, Mexico whenever I like. I am blessed to see a collection of the best Mexican folk art right here. My favorite store full of inspirational folk art is El Interior http://www.elinterior.com/index.html, though there are others as well.

The only issue I have is that the art is not truly representative of what can be found in Mexico itself. The art I see here in Austin has been made and purchased for American taste. It is more polished and far less colorful than what the Mexican artists like to create. Large buyers' demands have changed their art. Well, everyone has to eat....don't they/we?

Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger Georgina said...

I too love folk art and that's what inspired me to be a folk art artist many years ago...started with my attending a exhibition of retablos and ex-votos at the Centennial Museum on the UTEP campus many years ago.

I have some left over from my childhood...my grandparents lived in Juarez, right across the border from El Paso. I loved going to the mercado with my grandmother when I spent the night with her...the smells, the colours, the sounds...all intoxicating and miss them terribly. I have a collection of small items and had many but my sister once had a melt-down after she came home for the summer during her college days...apparently my stuff had "merged" with her stuff on her side of the closet and she destroyed and threw much of my childhood memories...to say I was "pissed off" is an understatement...I don't think I've really gotten over that!!! LOL

Right now, I'm making my version of "cocoheads," and am having the time of my life. I also made many little Oaxaca figurines during the summer...wish I had them still but sent them off to the gallery in AZ.

Thanks so much for mentioning this store. I will be in Austin, well, Round Rock in May to acquaint myself with my new granddaughter and visit my other little guys. Then that Sunday, I will be heading to S. Austin and spend a couple of days with my buddy...doing the S. Congress walk. Have you ever been to Tesoros? They have a nice collection of folk art and there's another one down S. Cong...the name escapes me now, but I've picked up a couple of things there too.

Alright, I've rambled far too much and yes, I agree with you, much of the items you get now are geared for the American tastes....how I miss Mexico!!

Have a great week, my friend.

xxoo,
Georgina

1:08 PM  
Blogger Chaska Peacock said...

Had a visit to Tesoros yesterday! I picked up 4 tiny things for a personal box shrine I will be making. I have gotten side-tracked with the feng shui altars, but my abandonment of Oaxacan influence is only temporary. I so need another trip back to drink in the flavor...all those things which you mention. (Have never been able to decide whether I was a Mexican or a Peruvian Indian in a past life!) I would so love to meet you when you visit "down the street"!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main